Sunday 1 March 2009

Seeds Galore

Spent today sowing seeds. Weather was good if a little chilly. So what are we sowing right now.

Flowers for FHS:
Petunia: Bedding Mix
Vegetables For the FHS:
Aubergines: Long purple
Chilli Peppers: Tokyo Hot, Caldero, Hot Jalapeno, Chilli Shake (mix)
Capsicums: Sweet Spanish mixed, Hungarian Wax, Long Red Marconi

Vegetables For Myself:
Leeks: Musselburgh, Autumn Giant
Kale: Dwarf green curled
Onions: Rossa Lunga di Firenze
Spinach: Palco
Spinach Beet:
Beetroot: Chioggia, Boston
Broad Beans: Optica, Express
Cabbage: Golden Acre Primo III
Capsicum: Gypsy
Carrots: Fucino

All are in the greenhouse including the carrots which I have sown into an old Rooster container with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. Last year I sowed a few carrot seeds in a deep pot and this was very successful, so I thought I would do this again this year but sow at about 2 week intervals into pots so that I get a succession. The carrots I sowed directly into the ground were rather poor by comparison.

Melanie sowed some Celariac: Monarch for both of us. We will probably share quite a lot of the seeds we sow.

Sowed first lot of Petunias two weeks ago in the heated propagator and they have germinated. They are still tiny and it will be a couple of weeks before they are ready to be pricked out.

I had a good idea of how to do a temporary repair to my greenhouse; Melanie has, at my suggestion, mended hers with polythene cut to the size of the missing panes and stapled it to the wooden frame. My greenhouse is aluminium so I can't staple the polythene to the frame but I could tape it to the frame with all-weather tape. I may give this a go next week. I might ask Melanie if I could buy some of her polythene as she has rather too much, and I won't need very much at all, as my greenhouse is so small.

No comments:

Post a Comment