Sunday 26 April 2009

The Spuds Are In At Last

It's been a while since I posted anything on this or either of my other two blogs. I've been rather too busy to write anything in my virtual world and have been concentrating on trying to keep up with my life. This weekend has been incredibly busy again both socially and in trying to keep up with the chores. I am much too easily distracted by things and find I can't complete everything I would like to do. Hey-ho such is life one can only do one's best! But it would help if our social life was less busy and I wish our friends, important as they are to us, would not choose Sunday lunch and Bank Holidays to invite us over, when these are the only days available to do important things like planting potatoes and onions. If this doesn't happen when it needs to there won't be any later on to harvest.

On my plot Terry has finished repairing my greenhouse, just in time for the season. He replaced the glass with polycarbonate which should not shatter in another act of vandalism. It is still glass on the side facing away from the woods so I can still see through it to some extent. However, it is now safe to stand in and that is the most important thing. This weekend I did manage to get at least the bulk of the potatoes in the ground and the majority of the onions. I also got round to planting out my mangetout peas which were nearly 30cm tall in root trainers in my greenhouse. I still have an enormous amount to do on the plot and it seems like an insurmountable problem right now.

As for things I needed to do for the Plant Sale; I noticed that I had forgotten to prick out the Cosmos seedlings and Sylvia has done them all apart from Purity (White); I am sure she will be doing them too. But if she hasn't I will do them next weekend. The other job I need to do is to laminate the seed packets. I will need to go to the polytunnel one evening after work to pick them all up so that I can do this on another evening very soon otherwise they won't be ready to display with the plants on sale day.

I had a look at what was happening in the greenhouses on Saturday and saw that most things were thriving and that the greenhouses are filling up nicely, although it looks as if there is a lot less than in previous years. This may be a good thing as we may not have as much left over. I was a bit worried about the gourds, squashes and pumpkins we sowed two weeks ago as they were a bit slow to start but these seem to be OK this week so we should have lots of these to sell. We also have an abundance of cucumbers which is very good as these go very quickly. The aubergines are really good too. Terry frightened me the other day when he said they were diseased but it appears he was mistaken and they look very healthy at the moment.

I would like to take some more pictures of what is going on at the allotment right now as there are lots of good things happening. All I need is another day in the week and then I might be able to do it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment