Thursday 27 August 2009

Continuing Harvest



Last Sunday was very hot and humid, in fact there were very few allotment holders on site. It was also very dry in spite of the rain we had during the week. We have been fortunate this year as there hasn't been a hosepipe ban and we have been able to water freely. This is clearly a problem as we are all very conscious, these days, of water shortages and, for that matter, all environmental issues. Talking of which, the composting loo is nearly ready for use. It has been built for some time now, but as the concrete apron in front of the toilet had not been constructed and the floor inside had not been painted, it has not yet been commissioned. Apparently, the only thing now holding up the grand opening is the lack of a chain on the toilet brush.
WATCH this space for the announcement that the loo has been declared officially opened!

I have been protecting the corn cobs from the squirrels with plastic water bottles with the tops and bottoms removed. I have only protected half of them owing to shortage of bottles. Up to last week my corn had not yet been attacked but the squirrels are eating the ripe ones first. As mine were planted a little later, they will, no doubt get round to eating mine in due course, once they have eaten the riper ones.


Unfortunately the tomatoes have all got blight even the ones in my greenhouse. I have removed the diseased plants, and tried to salvage some of the apparently unaffected fruit even if not yet ripe. With luck the fruit will ripen without blemish. June is saying she is thinking of banning growing tomatoes outdoors for a year, in an attempt to break the cycle. I am not sure that it is proven that this works. I heard somewhere that watering the tomatoes thoroughly after a rainfall serves to wash the spores off the leaves and this is an effective means of preventing blight without spraying with chemicals.

5 comments:

  1. You have a grat garden here. Blite is indeed a gardener's enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you've got a really good selection of veg there. Would love to help you eat it :)

    Found your blog through Blotanical - I hope we'll see you around there a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My tomatoes got blight too. I haven't heard of washing the leaves after a rainfall, but I will try that next year. I am also trying a major rotation since they say that the spores can stay in the soil for up to two years. I'm creating a brand new bed for them and I will be putting down plastic to keep the soil from splashing up. Good luck!

    Got here from Blotanical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you please tell me what is an allotment? I have seen the term used, mostly by people in UK, but I am not sure what it means.

    I enjoyed your post. Welcome to Blotanical. I think you will like it here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments.
    Responding to Janie: an allotment is usually a small area of land rented on an annual basis from the local council or a land owner, where you can grow vegetables, fruit and flowers, for your own consumption.
    Responding to Sylvana: I think you may also need to create a cover to go over the top too as usually the spores land on the leaves after rain. You could create a temporary polytunnel with canes and water pipe something like the arch I made for my beans, you could leave the ends open, to make the watering easier.
    Responding to Sue: You are welcome to help me eat it, in return for a spot of digging. He he.
    I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to visit all of your Blogs yet but I am looking forward to it when I have a little more time

    ReplyDelete