Wednesday 28 January 2009

WET WET WET

Not much activity now for a few weeks. This is always a quiet time in the garden but I haven't really felt like going down there much. I have been concentrating on my Digital art course (see my other blog: http://rubie43.blogspot.com/).

Went down to the allotment on Sunday afternoon at about 4o'clock. I had not been tempted to go as the weather has been so awful; but I was going stir crazy and I needed to get out of the house for a walk.

The entire site was waterlogged, there was standing water even at the top of the hill! My plot being the lowest on the site was almost under water. Hopeless. I will need to wait for a couple of weeks for the water to drain away before I can do anything at all down there. So many jobs to be done!

The glass in my greenhouse has still not been replaced, and until I can actually stand on the ground nothing is going to happen on that front. I hope the vandals that have caused me all this grief get what they deserve.

I haven't yet bought my seed potatoes or my onion sets; our trading hut only sells directly from the King's catalogue and is not very good value for individual purchase of things like potatoes which are only in 3 or 5?/6? kg bags so I usually get mine from the local nursery where they often sell potatoes and onions loose individually or by weight; this usually suits me better as my plot is small and I don't need very many of each variety. My colleague at work has an allotment in Croydon; their site has a very good shop selling a wide variety of seed potatoes and onion sets at very reasonable prices, which they sell by weight, so I am thinking of putting in an order with him.

I hope that the weather will dry out a bit so that I can start sowing some seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment