Saturday 14 February 2009

Valentine's Day

We have got so used to warm winters and half hardy plants survival over winter; I don't think that the pelargoniums that have survived for the last 4 years outdoors without protection will be making an appearance this year! My garden is due for a complete makeover in any case so if nothing much survives this will give me added incentive to make the major changes that I would like.

I have made a plan for seed sowing for the vegetables and flowers that we have undertaken to grow for the plant sale at the allotment in May. We will be very busy from now on until the Plant Sale. We have to get cracking as we probably should have started last week but the weather has been so cold and we still had snow falls this week. February is always a bad month and it isn't really worth risking anything until a the middle of the month even in a mild year.

I have my seed potatoes but haven't actually started to chit them yet. I will do this this weekend. So far I have three varieties: Kestrel, Desiree, and Linzer Delicatesse. I may just stick to these this year. I will put them in the dining room as usual in open trays or egg boxes if I can rescue them before M bins them. I also have my onion sets but I won't put them in until March. I have three varieties: Sturon, Stutgarter and Red Baron.

I have already bought a lot of seeds in anticipation of sowing them. My greenhouse is not yet repaired so I will not be able to do anything until I get that sorted out. I may be able to use some space in the Society's green house until it gets too full.

I hope that I will post some photos as the work progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment